- For Professionals (Shop Floor)
- Clinical Guidelines
- Clinical Standards
- Clinical Audit
- Professional Standards
- Safer Care
Safety in your ED
CEM resources for local patient safety
Emergency Department Safety Leads
The College recommends that a patient safety lead is designated to take responsibility for ensuring clinical care is delivered safely. The safety lead may be the departmental lead consultant but many of the functions and activities may be delegated to other colleagues including senior nurses and managers. However, the patient safety lead has a responsibility for ensuring agreed activities/actions are completed.
- Role profile for safety leads - to assist ED local and regional safety leads, the Safer Care Committee has published a suggested role profile
- The College is continuing to identify Safety Leads in each Emergency Department. If you have not already informed the College of your safety lead please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Poster: Top tips for patient safety in your ED
The CEM Safer Care committee has produced a poster that lists simple steps that eveyone can take to improve patient safety and raise awareness of patient safety. Please download and display in your ED.
Local clinical governance / patient safety groups
The resources have been produced to help local clinical governance and safety teams in creating a framework for addressing patient safety. The templates can be adapted as necessary
The College's ENLIGHTENme website has a safer care knowledge bank, aimed at sharing examples of the best practice and allowing clinicians to network (and help find solutions) on some of the key challenges that we all face. We hope you will be pro-active in contributing by:
- Submitting ‘Safer care’ case scenarios and help with the online debates to improve the Emergency Department at ENLIGHTENme's St EM-ER.
- Providing references and materials that you think are important in terms of organisational strategies, system design and optimising human performance - so that others can utilise them.
- Providing comments and discussion threads to improve networking and academic debate in this vital field.
Other sections on safety:
- Safer Care Introduction - introduction to safety and the College's role
- Safety News - latest developments in patient safety
- Safety Alerts - latest reports from the National Patient Safety Agency and Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- Safety Resources - find commonly used safety terms, organisations, tools and resources
- Safety Events - find events where you can learn more